Rescuers working through the night to find 52 people missing after a South Korean fishing vessel sank off the eastern coast of Russia in the Bering Sea.
The South Korean trawler was carrying 60 people, including one Russian inspector, 11 South Koreans, 35 Indonesians and 13 Philippine crew members.
As yet, one Korean sailor was confirmed dead while the Russian and six foreign crew members were rescued.
“Overnight rescue efforts produced no tangible results and 52 people are still missing,” a Sajo Industries spokesman told AFP.
According to a South Korean ministry official it is believed that the ship, which was in the area netting pollock, began to list after stormy weather caused seawater to flood storage areas. The official said the 2,100-ton ship is 35-years-old.
“The condition of the fishermen who were rescued is fine,” Artur Rets, chief of the rescue centre at the Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky port, told the RIA Novosti news agency. “They are currently on the ship that rescued them. They will stay there until the weather improves and South Korea decides how to get them out of here. In the likeliest scenario, they will be picked up by a Korean vessel that is out fishing nearby.
The Latest Haps
The country’s top court has sentenced a South Korean man to 12 years in prison for attempting to murder the U.S. ambassador to South Korea Mark Lippert.
The Kim Young-ran anti-graft law is taking in effect starting today. The law aims to prevent government employees and various officials from receiving bribes.
Busan Subway Lines 1, 2 and 3 have begun emergency services today due to a general strike of the Busan Metro Labor Union.
The city of Busan is looking for public input as they plan to change the look of the city’s buses for the first time in 16 years.
Schedules are up, books are printed and available, and tickets go on sale this Thursday at 2 p.m. It’s time to pull out the scratch pad and start planning your week.
Miles Teller and Aaron Eckhart have been confirmed as guests for the 21st Busan International Film Festival.
The Busan One Asia Festival is offering free admissions to Taste Busan and the Korean Wave Star & Beauty Collection for foreign guests at BEXCO.
Cancer remained the leading cause of death in South Korea in 2015, with fatalities from pneumonia rising sharply amid a rapidly aging population, government data showed Tuesday.
The Busan International Food Expo 2016 will be held in BEXCO from October 6th to the 9th.
Pei Wei Asian Diner is set to open a location in Busan by the end of 2017 according to a company press release.
A new survey by MasterCard shows that Seoul is once again the 10th most popular city for travel in the world.
Busan’s neighbor to the north has a lot going for it for a fun weekend that’s not so far from home.
While many head to Thailand in search of its magnificent culture, Chiang Mai is a great place to start and one of her best offerings are her awesome temples, known as “Wats”.
North Korea’s goalkeeper gives up one of the worst goals ever — to the opponent’s goalkeeper in an AFC U-16 championship match.
A 29-year-old woman was seriously injured this month when a bungee jump operator failed to secure her rope to the safety hook.
Suyeong-gu Office runs the Stand Up Paddle Board Academy at Gwangalli Beach in September and October.