KBL Playoffs – KT Win Double Overtime Thriller to Advance to Semifinals


    BUSAN, South Korea – The  KT Sonic Boom advanced to the semi-finals of the Korean Basketball League with a dramatic 98-92 double overtime win over the Inchon ET Land Elephants.

    Charles Rhodes scored 29 points and added 22 rebounds, and Park Sang-oh led KT down the stretch with 25 points as the Sonic Boom won the tough best of five series three games to two. Yang Woo-weub also added 20 points, while starter Song Young-jin missed the game due to a leg injury.

    "Good teams close it out. We don't have enough rest, but ya know, we got a little bit of rest but it's the notebook to our season," Rhodes said after the game.

    Kang Hyuk scored 24 points including six three's, and Herbert Hill added 22 points and 19 rebounds in the defeat.

    "It's how the series was. KT won, but we fought hard, but it's tough to win when it's five on eight," said Hill after the game.

    KT jumped out to an early 25-13 lead, as Incheon struggled to find their shot, shooting 33% for the first quarter.

    Back-to-back three pointers by Yang Woo-seub and Park Sang-ho gave KT an early 18 point advantage in the second, as KT led 36-18 three minutes into the second. Herbert Hill's basket with 3:50 to go cut the lead to 12.

    KT was plagued with turnovers and missed six of their first seven shots to start the second, while Incheon opened the second half on a 10-2 run to cut the lead to two, with 5:01 left in the third. KT managed to only 27% from the field in the third compared to Incheon's 56% in the second.

    Shin Gi-sung's three pointer with 2:06 remaining gave Incheon their first lead since the first basket at 69-68. Aftern Rhodes split a pair of free throws to tie the score at 71 with 25 seconds left, Moon Tae-Jong went for the win, but it fell short and Kang Hyuk couldn't put back the rebound forcing overtime.

    "I had a chance to win it at regulation, I should have taken a better shot," said Moon Tae-jong.

    After both teams traded two three's apiece, Incheon grabbed a four point lead, until Yang Woo-seub hit a jumper with 30.7 seconds left, Rhodes desperation tip-in off a Park Sang-oh three as time expired sent the game into double overtime.

    KT raced out to an 8-2 run to start second overtime, as Incheon missed six of seven shots to start the quarter. After Rhodes fouled out with 1:14 left, KT hit seven of eight free throws to ice the game.

    KT now goes on the play second place Anyang KGC, with the series tipping off tomorrow at 3 in Anyang.



    HQ bar