Busan-Gyeongnam Suffers Minor Damage From Typhoon Bolaven

By  |  0 Comments

BUSAN, South Korea — Typhoon Bolaven spared Busan and the surrounding area, as the 15th typhoon of the year raced along the west coast of South Korea Tuesday. High winds and sporadic rains hit the city, which also saw high waves hit the coastline.

No major damage was reported around the city, though over 30 reports of fallen trees, signs and other debris were reported. Trees were said to have been knocked down onto to the road in Jurye-dong, Sa-sang-gu, as well as power outages in Namhae, Changwon, Jinhae, Tongyong and Geo-chang. Flights in and out of Ginhae International Airport were also canceled due to high winds.

Jeju has received the brunt of the storm so far, knocking out power to 33,105 households as of 7 a.m., the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) said.

Yonhap News also reported two Chinese fishing boats with 34 crew members aboard capsized Tuesday in waters off Jeju Island's southern port of Seogwipo, according to the Coast Guard. Six people were rescued but 28 others remain missing. The Associated Press reports that four have died and 12 are missing after the accident.

The typhoon is now moving north and expected to hit the capital Seoul between 2 and 3 p.m.


You can check out more storm coverage at Koreabridge's Typhoon News Center here


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

17 − nine =

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>